Friday, May 26, 2006

a token knitting post

Goodmorning, and thank you thank you all for the support with the last coupla' posts...special kudos to Sara and Jodie who both have a physicality similar to mine (and both knit or crochet...what are the odds?). Seriously, though...your comments were very helpful to me, and it means alot to me to have feedback from other AKA females. *hugs & kisses*

Since I'm too pooped to do back-to-back emotional posts LOL....and since the rest of you end up here because of the knittin' anyhow....

here's a token knitting post!
-----------------------------------

For starters, let's all have another peek at the beauuuutiful sock yarn, shall we?? :-)


(custom hand-dyed yarns compliments of GoKnitYourHat/BlackBunnyFibers & StrangeLittleMama)

"TeeHee" and "Albequerque Sky" are now languishing in the bedroom, so I have fallen asleep dreaming about them, and I have also woken up having that half-sleepy-dreamy-lovey feeling with them, too (well, SLM did say "Al Sky" was her "yarn boyfriend"...Hmmm...I wonder if the two skeins are up there mating...now wouldn't that be cool hahahaha).

My swift and ball winder were out on loan, returned last night, so I'll be winding them up this weekend....but I still won't be able to (read as: I should not) actually start knitting with them until about mid-June when I finish the birthday projects.

I've also just completed a knitted object for my Secret Pal, but now that I've discovered that Secret Pal participants are cruising blogs to see if they can figure out who their pal is...well, sorry. I'm not helping my pal out with any hints.

But guess what else I'm up to....
I'm scheming on that "stump cozy" we talked about awhile back.
I've finally figured out that what I need is something like yoga pants (wide wasteband), only shorts....with a regular open pant leg on the one side, and something enclosed on the other.


Crappy drawing...but I shall treasure it forever...because when I was doodling it as a way to explain my idea to TheMIG, he leaned over my shoulder, took the pen, and put that little star on the waistband. His little contribution to my looking cute, I guess... *giggle* (I love it) (And I love Him).

I wrote "BooBoo" down on the stumpy leg part, thinking I'd do some embroidery or something there, but I scratched it out. I've decided it's stoopid. This girl likes the star better :-)

And I've decided that I'm going to use the Purple Pansies from Black Bunny Fibers for these little hot pants....

(note: I have been trying for a loooong time this morning to upload 2 photos of Purple Pansies for you, and blogger isn't being agreeable, so I might edit to add them in later....meanwhile, you can see the yarn here, scroll down to "ShoppingShoppingShopping")


I've designed a couple knick-knack things before (bath mits, scarves, stuffed animals, etc) , but never a fitted garment. I think I understand the math enough to do it. And I've sewn my own harem pants before (for bellydance costumes), so I get the concept of crotches and gussets and whatnot. I have hunch it might take an attempt or two the get the stump side to fit correctly, but it's not so much knitting that ripping out will be upsetting.

So that's what goes on tour with me in June...socks and stump cozies! By the time I get back, I'll be closer to being the most fashionable gimp in town.
Teehee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the topic you've discussed over the past few days, but just thought I'd add my .02 worth, as a female amputee of 27 yrs. who wore a leg for 15 and now am legless by preference for 12 yrs.

I had 5 different legs from 5 different prosthetists in different regions of the country over the course of 12 years (1st in Rochester MN, 2d in Ft. Wayne IN, 3rd in Oak Park IL, 4th in San Jose CA, and 5th in OKC OK) before I actually got 1 that I "liked" (the OKC leg). There were always issues, not least of which was $$$ and insurance battles.

A huge part of my decision to be legless as a lifestyle was that these issues just took up too much of my pychic, emotional, physical, and every other kind of energy. I had always had a sort of mental agreement with myself that there was a line in the sand across which the fact that I was an amputee would not encroach, or it would end up defining who I was. Well, after 12 yrs. of battling I felt that line was being crossed.

I know my decision to be legless full-time is hard to understand for a lot of people. But for me, I have never felt as disabled without a limb than I did with a shitty one. Since I adopted the legless lifestyle, I have become a homeowner (something NOT financially feasible when you're paying $$$$ for legs), had a daughter, begun swimming 3+ miles a week, worked full-time, I could go on forever.

For me, the biggest challenge in being an amputee is choosing how to live with it. That choice will be different for each person. And it sounds to me like that's exactly what you're doing. So keep up your good work!
Rita

Gray said...

Skeins mating? What a good imagination!

That is a very cool project you have planned. Practical and little sexy even. We had a very warm Memorial Day weekend, and it's hard to imagine being cold, but those days will certainly come again... probably next week.