Wednesday, February 06, 2008

i just cant do it

I know I said I'd post about dancing, but I just cannot get it together today to sit and type it up.

I'm a wee bit excited about the van. It's been consuming most of my brainwaves for the past few days. Getting it ready to roll is proving to be sort of like furnishing a studio apartment or something. It has sucked up much of my time and attention.

I service guy from the dealership come over on Tuesday and he spent a couple of hours with me walking around learning how to use the thing without blowing it up (hooray for that). It's got all sorts of gizmos that I need to learn how to keep running smoothly.

I'm going to start slowly with the traveling. Break it, and myself, in gradually. The trainer guy that came out to do the walk-thru told me I was smart for doing it that way, and he cannot believe how many people get an RV and then jump in it and drive off for a vacation right then and there. He said that sure as shit they call from Nebraska or something and they have no idea what they are doing, and then he's stuck trying to break it all down over the phone.

This weekend I'm going to take it for a daytrip through wine country, and then next weekend TheMostImportantGuy and I will take it out for an overnighter in an RV park just outside of San Francisco. That will be a great test run. I'm sure most of that trip will be making lists of things that I forgot. At least if something goes really wrong, we're only an hour from home.

I am sure I will get some other daytrippy use out of it again before March (hey! maybe I'll take it Stitches and it can be the KnitMobile??), but at the end of March I am taking MyFavoriteKid out during his spring break for a run down the central coast. I want to take him to see Solvang. He's never been there, and I haven't been there in ages myself!

When I was a little kid, maybe 7 or so (?), my parents took me to Solvan, and when we wandered into a toyshop, I was allowed to buy one thing. I bought a little book for kids about how to knit. One of the things I made were egg cozies (to keep soft boiled eggs warm) and I gave them to my grandparents. I'm not sure whatever happened to that book, but my grandmother is turning 90 this year, and she just told my mom the other day that she still uses the egg cozies. Hahahaha. We are going to visit her out in the Boston area in April for her birthday (not in the van, we're flying for this one). I'm actually kind of excited about having a chance to see my first knitting.

I will catch up with the dance post soon...I promise...and I will show you pics of the interior of the van soon, too. You won't believe it. It's like a little house or something. And now that I'm putting my own things in it, it is beginning to feel like a little home.

Nighty-night :-)

5 comments:

Mouse said...

you ought to knit her some of those little egg sweaters.. lol. I saw Solvang on tv once on a travel channel show and thought it looked like a fun day out.

M-H said...

I made a pair of those too, maybe for the first thing I knitted. but if you're going near Big Sur, try and visit Nepenthe. There is a cafe with a view of the sea, a huge gift shop, but more importantly it's where Kaffe Fassett grew up and it is still run by his family. And (here's the kicker) downstairs they have a kind of shrine to Fassett, with some of his original pieces (you'll faint dead away at the prices). It was the high point of a drive we were taken on down the coast in 2000.

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

m-h ~ Ok, so I'm reading along, and I'm thinking, "Yes, I have been to Nepenthe's. I had lunch there with my ex and MyFK when he was a wee little baby. It was the ex's favorite childhood memory place and he said if we were anywhere nearby we HAD to stop there for lunch."
But guess what?!!! I didn't know about the Fassett part!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I mean, I knew then who he was, even owned a book of his, but I didn't know about the downstairs shrine). I can't wait to go back now!

Warrior Knitter said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Contrats! on the van!

I grew up camping. My folks went from a lean-to attached to the side of the car (late '50's), to tents (early '60's), a camper top (late '60's), a slide in overhead camper (early '70's), smaller fifth wheel trailers (late '70's) and finally a 35' fifth wheel trailer ('80's). Both are gone now, but I have so many wonderful memories of camping with my folks. We went almost every weekend to local lakes (anywhere from an hour to three hours away) from late March to late October and all over the western US on vacations.

Enjoy!

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Warrior Knitter ~ Thank you!! And yes, that is my story almost exactly. I grew up camping and backpacking and intend to post about that sometime. It's a big part of who I am, and it's something I want to really share with my kid. The van seemed the easiest way for me to do it, mobility-wise.