Friday, November 14, 2008

poor mr.darcy

It seemed to me that the new kitten had not been acting quite like himself, but it was hard to be sure. He's only been here a week and a half. He's been eating, but it seems a little less. He's been playful, but a little less. Sleeping a little more, purring less, a little crabbier. But maybe that is just the way he always is.

Then I started noticing that he was parking himself next to the water dish in the kitchen and not drinking out of it. Just staring at it. And then last night he started with the teeth chattering. He was sort of clicking his teeth together, like he was shivering. I spoke to a couple of people that have cats that do that when they get excited, and I thought maybe that was it. The first time I noticed Darcy doing it he was sitting in the window watching the bird feeder, and the second time I was putting down his food bowl for dinner. I made an appointment just to be sure, though....and then cancelled it thinking that he was probably just fine.

That was last night. Then this morning he wakes up and his whole chin is covered in drool. I call back the vet and reestablish the appointment.

Turns out Mr.Darcy has a virus that creates little ulcerations in the mouth. Poor Darcy has a huge one covering half his tongue, and it's infected. He was dehydrated (hence staring at the water dish--poor kitty hurt too much to take a drink!). They gave him a little intravenous fluids, some antibiotics for the infection, and some liquid pain medicine that coats and soothes the mouth.

He already seems to be doing a little better, but I have to keep a close eye on him this weekend. Have to keep an eye on Gaara the cat, too...the damn virus is very contagious. I asked the vet if I should separate them, and she said it was already too late, but hoped Gaara would be alright since he has completed his shots and boosters.

7 comments:

The Bon said...

Poor kitteh. I hope he gets better soon!

Mouse said...

Oh no.. poor baby!

~Donna~ said...

poor kitty D! hope he feels better soon!

Pickyknitter said...

Best wishes from me and the cats too...

~Donna~ said...

Hey girl, I'm tagging you for a meme. You can use this again if you run out of ideas - think you've already done something similar already - but hey, it's from someone different! http://donnazchaos.blogspot.com/2008/11/meme-post.html

Carol said...

Oh no! Let me know if I need to knit another itteh bitteh kitteh sweateh....

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Poor Mr. Darcy. You're such a good kitty mama to have caught the problem in time.