Monday, January 18, 2010

pile it on, please

This is not the post I had planned for tonight. Was hard at work on something entirely different. But just a few minutes ago I got a call from James (he's my main buddy at the convalescent hospital I volunteer visit at), and now my heart is just not it.

We lost Rodger yesterday.

It's a huge surprise to everyone. I mean, yeah...he was a patient in a convalescent hospital so clearly there were some health issues. But nothing pressing. He was stable. For crying out loud, I just saw him last week. In the last month or so I have sat down with him at lunch and/or visited him for chat in his room. TheMostImportantGuy and I had a nice chat when we visited after Christmas, too. Old and feeble, but sharp as a tack, and again...no signs of decline.

James thinks he had a heart attack, but he's only got that much info through the rumor mill. The ambulance was called for him, and apparently he didn't look so great as they were wheeling him out. Obviously, he didn't make it back.

I go there tomorrow for my regular visits. Maybe I'll run into his family.
*sigh*

I guess if you're gonna spread it on, spread it on thick.

4 comments:

Mouse said...

*hugs*

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry that you've lost your friend. And I hope everything turns out OK in the end for the MIG's dad.

carolynswafford said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Those losses are hard!

~Donna~ said...

Somehow I missed this post and went straight to the big hair one...

sigh...

Sorry for the loss, seems like a lot of that sort of stuff and bad news like the cancer is going around.

Boo.