Sunday, July 18, 2010

first yarn on the electric spinner

I didn't sign on for the "Tour de Fleece" this year (where fiber-junkies spin at the same time the cyclists do their thing) because I was in Seattle for the start. But I am watching a whole lot of Tour de France since I have been home, and I have been tinkering with my new electric spinner.

I'm working on spinning a finer lace/fingering weight yarn, but it was killing me. I was really in need of some instant gratification, so I whipped out a bulky thick-n-thin single.




It was 4oz of organic Merino combed top (from Spunky Eclectic; the April '10 Club Colorway "Storms of Jupiter"). I turned it into about 162yds of a thick-n-thin single with some slubs, and then I slightly fulled it when I set the twist.

I'm so glad I did this. I really love knitting with this sort of yarn, and I've been working so hard at keeping consistent and doing fine work that I was beginning to wonder if I could even make something like this if I wanted to.

As for the spinner, I am loving it. The WooleeWinder doing its own thing just makes me giddy, and not having my leg cramp up when I spin is just the greatest thing ever.

And it's so compact, I might even have to try spinning in bed sometime soon ;-)

3 comments:

Mouse said...

Wow.. that's really a pretty yarn! I'm glad you found a way to spin that doesn't hurt- I haven't spun in ages because of my back hurting every time I use my wheel.

~Donna~ said...

Awesome. Looks like the new wheel was a good investment for you.

Rebecca said...

Very nice! The yarn looks good enough to eat! Those minispinners sure looked slick.

It's great to be able to see what someone else has done with the fiber. I saw that it was top and have been wondering whether I should spin it worsted... but it's merino with short fibers, so I'm confused. :) Any thoughts?

Rebecca