Thursday, December 02, 2010

hap-py with the blanket

Still sick as a dog. It has moved into my chest and it's looking like it's time to see a doctor. I'm going in tomorrow. As for today, let me do some catching up.

Dani asked me if I ever found the bird. Nope, I never did see the bird. Just the feathers.
Pickyknitter commented: I spy handspun! Nope, again! I can't take credit for spinning that. What you saw was Cascade Eco-Wool, and it's my new favorite thing. It's super yummy 100% wool, and it's a lot of bang for your buck. I paid just over $15 for almost 9 ounces/475 yards. Woot! What you saw me knitting on in that post was the blanket I've been curled up underneath this past week.

No, I did not get a second guitar, by the way. That is my BabyTaylor is on the left, and what is on the right is an acoustic bass that TheMostImportant guy has moved in here to keep her company.

And so here's your guitar update: I kinda stalled a bit with the practicing when my class got canceled, but I'm back on it again and having learning. I can strum out a few folk songs now, and this week with the raspy throat I sound like I could maybe open at a dive bar (as long as everyone was really sauced).



Hap Blanket, by Ysolda Teague (from the book Whimsical Little Knits)

Started: November 3rd
Finished: November 25th, but I wasn't working on it continuously. If you were to count the actual hours knitting, this thing went super fast.
Needles: US 13's
Yarn: Cascade Eco-Wool. About 1-2/3 skeins of the main color, and about 1/2 a skein of the contrasting.
Mods:
I upsized the blanket from 40" to approx 52".
I did a provisional cast-on and didn't bind off the center panel so that I wouldn't need to pick up those two sides later.
Notes:
The color changes happen in a lacy corner right next to a yarn-over. To avoid weaving in ends, I learned how to do my first Russian Joins. I really thought I was going to hate doing these. They look like a royal pain in the arse, and they also look like they will come out sloppy. It is actually such a handy technique with such great results, I am super glad to have it in my toolbox. I personally think the final product looks way better than weaving in ends, and I can see myself using often.

This was a totally relaxing knit...easy television knitting, for sure. I would absolutely make this again.

oh, and here's a link to the ravelry project page



So warm. So snuggly. Man, I love this thing. Unfortunately, so does the dog. If I keep it folded up and draped over the back of the couch when not it's not in use, he stays away from it. And if I'm curled up underneath it, he also leaves it alone. But if I jump up to get some more tea or go to the little girl's room, and I just toss the blanket aside? I come back and he's all rolled up in it.
And he's a little stinky sometimes.
And this blanket is real wool, not super-wash (mean, I will launder it, but it aint like it's as easy as tossing in the machine).


So I'm using the left-over yarn to make him a little doggie blanket ;-)

1 comments:

thestashattacked said...

That blanket is beautiful!!! It may become my next project. love(1)