Monday, December 20, 2010

thoughts about sequence.

TheMostImportantGuy spent a good portion of his day Sunday on my couch with his laptop, working on some stuff for his father's memorial service tomorrow.

The day after MrW's passing, TheMIG and I brought both of our photo scanners up to his mom's, and with his sister and niece, we went through a ton of family photos (and the stories that went with them). Yesterday, TheMIG put the finishing touches on MrW's "Celebration of Life" slideshow, which is accompanied by his favorite BigBand/Dixieland tunes. It will be played at the memorial.

I think the presentation is going to be just awesome. I haven't seen it in its entirety, but I did hear the music, and was there for the photo scanning, so I think I can safely say it's going to be moving but upbeat and wonderful, just like MrW was.

But it really struck me, while TheMIG was working away, and while I was finally getting out the holiday decorations, that the person who really would enjoy this the most... was MR.W!!!!

It makes me wonder about the sequence of things. And at what point we find things to be important. And why we find them important. And who finds them important.

Why do we always wait to look at all this stuff when it's over??!

It makes me want to make a slideshow of my own.
I think I'd like it.
I think I'd like making it, and I think I'd like seeing it.
At the very least, it will give my friends and family a leg up on things once they deem it is needed, right?

I'm not trying to be morbid, I'm just sayin'.....
;-)


Hmm. I guess on some level the blog is about the biggest fattest slideshow ever.

4 comments:

~Donna~ said...

Just add music to the blog and you're good to go. :)

BTW, HI!!!!

idyllicchick said...

Doooo iiiit! Maybe revise it or add to it every couple of years. I think it's a fabulous idea that I might even steal. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you're onto something. Maybe this is an idea whose time has actually arrived.

Recently one of the elder folks in our congregation announced her intention of moving to warmer locations to be nearer her daughter. The move was coming up "in a few weeks" when she made her plans public.

The congregation buzzed about this a little while and decided to do a "Celebration of Life" for her while she was still here, instead of waiting until she'd been away from us for 10 years or whatever and then maybe not even doing it at all. Friends and family gathered pix and stories, invited her to help choose the date, and then maybe 100 people spent a couple of hours reminiscing about her, while she got to watch.

It was so awesome that several of us have made plans to do something similar for, say, 75th birthday celebration or whatever.

Julie R. said...

In my effort to catch up on the blogs I'm following, I find myself reading yours backwards.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Guy's dad. I hope everyone affected is finding some peace.