Saturday, March 12, 2011

snaps on saturday


From the "sun room" through the dining room and the "used to be a diningroom, but what the hell is it now" room, livingroom beyond in the distance.

Questions:
1) How many layers of primer and paint will it take me to cover up those red/brown walls, and...
2) I cannot stand that crystal chandelier (and there are at least 4 of them in various places around the house), but I wonder how I could re-purpose the, or just the crystals.

I'll take a close-up of one soon. Maybe you guys will have some ideas.

4 comments:

The Bon said...

Spray paint can help a chandelier a lot to make it look more modern. I don't know if you remember, but we have one hanging in our living room that doesn't light up that I spray painted teal.

Primer: I'd probably go with grey primer instead of white. If you find that it's still too dark under lighter colors, you could go grey primer, then white primer, then paint. But the grey primer should help a great deal.

Maggie said...

Before you take the chandeliers apart you might consider checking out what they would bring on craigslist or ebay. Sometimes retro crystal like that can do very well.

A friend has a lovely windchime made of former chandelier crystals, too.

painting with fire said...

Use Kilz primer - might even cover with one coat - it's great stuff.

No great ideas about the chandeliers - my Arts & Crafts house had a couple that screamed Victorian bordello when we bought it and we sold them at a garage sale and replaced them with better looking ones.

Pickyknitter said...

I was just thinking, "wow they painted already! It looks great!" I don't know if that says more about you or me :)