Monday, December 17, 2012

i'd make this again.

It's pretty nippy out, my tummy has been a little oogy from too much pre-holiday indulgence (we start early LOL), and TheMostImportantGuy is coming down with a cold, so this evening I made a big pot of warm and healing veggie soup.

I love soup.  

I have always loved soup, but my love of soup deepened tremendously while I was in culinary school. I had so much fun playing with soups back then, and got so good making them, that when we had to work together in groups on a menu, I always took the soup course in addition to my other duties.  Thanks to culinary school, I have made some very precious soups in my time.  But really, precious soups are not what I love the most. What I have always had the most fun doing is making a big steaming pot of WhateverInspiresMeInTheMoment.

Tonight's soup was quite delicious. It was ridiculously basic, and my apologies that it didn't photograph well in the poor light of the kitchen at YeOldHouse. But I wanted to enter it here on the blog so I can find the danged ingredient list so I can make it again.  It was that good that I know I am going to want more :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 'Cuz I Made It Up As I Went Along But I'd Like to Make It Again Soup:

I sauteed 2 thinly sliced leeks (white/light green parts) in olive oil, along with 4 thinly sliced carrots, and 3 sliced stalks of celery. While sauteing, I added the leaves off of a few sprigs of thyme, plus some salt and pepper.
I then deglazed with...ohhh, I dunno...a half cup or so of white wine (I used the leftover sauvignon blanc in the fridge). 
Then I added 2qts water and fingerling potatoes that were cut into 1" pieces and simmered.
Meanwhile, I roasted 1lb of butternut squash in the oven. It had been cut in 1" cubes and they were tossed in olive oil, s+p. I roasted them on a sheetpan at 450F for...well...until they were "roasty" ;-)  
I added the roasted butternut and a 6oz bag of baby spinach to the soup pot, and because the broth needed a little help, I tossed in a good rounded teaspoon of my secret weapon: veggie "Better Than Bouillon".



And it was yuuuuuuummy.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Oh yeah, roasted squash is grand in a soup. Also I like roast squash and sweet potatoes, cooked down with a little onion (can't have too much onion, makes my tummy oogy!) in stock, then fry up chorizo, chuck that in with some cabbage. 5-10 mins to let the cabbage cook through, and om nom nom.

Linda said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Mmm, I've been in soup mood lately too. So far I've made beef stew and chicken and gnocchi.