Sunday, April 07, 2013

cuts n zzz's

Sometimes I can't believe I went to culinary school. 

I cut myself in the kitchen tonight.  Not badly, just a knick.  But I do this knicking thing far too often, and I'm good enough at it that I always get it somewhere really pesky, like a knuckle joint or the most used fingertip.

I know why this happens.  It's because when I really learned how to use a knife back there in Food 101, I was standing every time I cut something.  Years later, I now only sometimes cut standing at the kitchen counter (balanced on one leg)....and it's usually only when I really need some leverage, like into butternut squash or something.  If I'm cutting softer foods, and I'm tired, I'll cut while sitting in the wheelchair, but at that same counter.  And that is when I slip. My elbows are wrists are misaligned for solid knife work, and why it has taken me this long to figure out that this is problem is beyond me.  I will definitely be thinking about this over the next few weeks and am dead set on figuring out a better way of doing things, in both house/both kitchens.

As for tonight...
I was dicing onions and cut my thumb in just the right place to make knitting a little bit of a pain in the arse....I while I was playing nurse-maid to myself and getting the bleeding to stop, I almost burned the dang house down (ok, I'm exaggerating just a tad).  See, right before I cut myself, I had put a stockpot on the stove over medium-high flame, and had added some olive oil, then turned to dice an onion.  And then spent the next 5-10 minutes trying to get the bleeding to stop, while totally forgetting that I had a pan on burner. Until the smoke alarm went off, of course ;-)  (thank goodness for smoke alarms, right??!!)


The rest of my day was good :-)
The whole household slept 9 hours last night.  MyFavoriteKid got to spend some time with friends, TheMostImportantGuy and I ran an errand in San Francisco and grabbed a nice lunch. We stopped and delivered James a balloon and a piece of birthday cake because it's his birthday today. We divided and conquered in the afternoon and I cleaned up a bit at YeOldHouse while he headed over to TheNewDiggs to do some yardwork.  We didn't have soup for dinner. Hahahahaha.  But we did eat a little something, and then we watched Game Of Thrones.   Not a bad day, I'd say.  And no drumline practice tomorrow, so we don't have to get up until 7am! I'm going to go try to and take advantage of a few extra zzz's.  G'night!

0 comments: