Friday, March 14, 2008

e is for...

...eating.


Eating is something that I love doing for (and together with) people, so much so, that I built a career around it (catering).

I see eating as a global unifier, right up there with breathing.

I simply enjoy the process of eating. I love the fact that it has the potential to engage all of the senses. In addition to being gustatory, it is simultaneously visual, tactile, olfactory, and auditory.

I am consistently intrigued by the ways eating connects with memories and emotions.



I also have so many "issues" with eating.

A few months ago? I was eating a diet consisting primarily of Raw Living Foods. Today? I had cookies before breakfast and chocolate for lunch.

Here is the current question about eating that I have been pondering for the last few months. I am going to use water as the example, even though I fully understand that water isn't eating, it's drinking...but I think you'll see that what I am rolling around in my brain extends to not only eating, but to just about anything else I might do for myself that would promote joy.

Water:
I know it is important to drink plenty of water. I have all of the information set before me from the experts telling me how much water I should be drinking and why I should be drinking it. I logically understand the benefits of being properly hydrated, and I am also informed about the consequences of being dehydrated.

Even more beneficial that this external knowledge, I also have an internal understanding. I HAVE gone through periods of time where I was properly hydrated. The list of the many ways in which my life and health improved by merely by drinking water is a long one.

So now I not only have the textbook knowledge about water, I also have evidence, coming from within my own being, of the benefits of drinking plenty of water.


And yet I do not drink enough water
.

WHY IS THAT???!!
Why is it that I can KNOW something can make me feel good, and not just because the facts SAY it will make me feel good, but because I am my own actual living PROOF that it will make me feel good....and yet I do not do for myself what makes me feel good.

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??
Why on earth would I keep from doing things for myself (ANY things) that I have already proven make myself feel good?



I've been working on this question for months.
I still haven't figured it out.
And I am eating jellybeans while typing this.


5 comments:

~Donna~ said...

now i want cookies...forget everything else about how i also know what's good for me and my well-being but can never seem to do it, etc...i just want cookies.

Gah.

Kim Ayres said...

Do you feel worthy enough?

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

donna ~ sry.

kim ~ Nnnnnnope.

~Donna~ said...

Wasn't really your fault..been craving bad-for-me-foods since i've been trying to eat healthy. Not doing very well...

Warrior Knitter said...

Sometimes you need to feed the inner you more than the outer you and sometimes that's chocolate and jelly beans, although not necessarily at the same time.