Tuesday, May 25, 2010

double happiness

Part of my day today was to visit James at the convalescent hospital. I always bring him lunch. I think it might just be his favorite weekly event. I'll bet it beats bingo. Today I brought in Chinese food, and when I opened my fortune cookie, there were two slips of paper.

The first one was:

Now is a good time for a new
collection or hobby.


I do believe that this was intended for another diner. Just make one pass around my house and notice the skeins of yarn shoved into vases to look like flower arrangements--or note the fact that there are two spinning wheels housed here, and I think you will agree. This belonged in its own separate cookie, and one not destined for me.


The second fortune was:

Listen these next few days to your
friends to get answers you seek.




So okay, friends. What say ye?
(*listening*)

8 comments:

Margaret said...

A few weeks ago (okay, April 17) you showed a picture of a "Women, Food and God" workshop flyer, with the tantalizing words "More tomorrow." I've been hoping to hear your thoughts on it. Hint, hint.

I enjoy your writing very much, and I enjoy your links, whether poignant or joyful or just funny. Lately I've gone back to the Peter Gabriel video many times, and it never fails to just zoom me. And thanks to you, in our house we now have a well-established expression: "Walk away, Mom, walk away." (And we don't even have any kids!)

Cheers, and good journeys.

JennaKate said...

Everything you need to know is already within you. We need friends to remind up to keep excavating up what we already know to be true. And I would like to hear more about Women, Food, and God - I read it on your suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I don't have answers for you, but I have four questions that help me gain new perspectives.

What are the good things in your life? What are the bad? Are the good things permanent? Are the bad?

Lorena said...

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.

Also-- there is nothing neither good nor bad; but thinking makes it so.

Gwen said...

Listen to me say, Hello! Hi! How ya doin?

That's all I got.

TheMIG said...

In a recent post you said "I don't mind dealing with life's BIG issues. But it really annoys the shit outa me when I am working as hard as I can to keep things moving, and everyone's spilling a bag of marbles out onto the floor in front of me."

My advice: the marbles are ALSO one of life's big issues, which you say you don't mind dealing with. So why add "annoying" to that one and not the others?

not supergirl said...

I'm watching my sister as she faces the prospect of dying in the next couple of years. Right now, the chances are 50/50. It's not a great prognosis, certainly, and we're all very sad. However, we're realizing that so many of those trite sayings about living like you could die tomorrow may be true. I'm not ready to cash in the 401k, but seriously, I'm going to try to make my last years special, and then I'm going to hope there are 50 of those last years. I don't have to be given a bad illness to do that, right?
Now, to figure out how to do that...

Kathy said...

The older I get, the more I come full circle to the same issues I was dealing with in my youth! I thought these were resolved and gone, but I was wrong. They are presenting themselves in a new way. Fortunately, my perspective is somewhat altered, but dammit, I thought I had learned something!