Sunday, December 18, 2011

Today was the day to get the last of the holiday shopping taken care of. TheMostImportantGuy and I ran around all town (several towns, actually) getting it all done, and I am soooo glad it's over. A couple of years ago I started the shopping so early that I finished it in early November, and then all of December I just sat back and watched everyone else go nuts while I sipped eggnog. That was a much better way to work it, if you ask me.

Every year, this feeling I have gets stronger and stronger:
why the heck are we bothering with gifts??

Every year, I promise myself that "next year" I am going to make arrangements with family for us to do a no-gift thing. Or maybe a let's-give-gifts-only-to-the-kids thing. Or maybe we should do the let's-draw-a-name-out-of-a-hat-and-gift-only-one-person gift exchange. Or maybe we could to an everything-has-to-be-homemade thing. Or how about a let's-just-donate-to-charity thing.

All great ideas. The problem is that every year, I forget to have these conversations with family until it's too close to the holiday.

I think this year I might try putting it out there over the holiday dinner or something. For me, the holidays have nothing at all to do with this sort of gift giving.


So.
The running around all over town(s) was a drag. Not at all what I would call a "good time". And so when we took a break to have a late lunch/early dinner, I made sure to have a "good time". In fact, I had an "effin' good time".



Tastier than eggnog anyhow ;-)

2 comments:

FUZZARELLY said...

Sometime during the gift opening this year is maybe the better time to mention doing away with presents. You may be surprised at the reception the idea gets.

And? Loooove that drink name!

~Donna~ said...

Just an FYI - you are not alone.

Best friend from college stopped by with family for a visit this weekend.

Her son is the drummer in a rock band. He's 14. They practice in the living room. Full drum set.

Dad is working like a mad man to trick out the garage so they can practice out there.

I just told her about "effen good time".