Thursday, September 13, 2012

raining tears...

Like most folks I'm sure, I have thoughts and feelings about what is going on in the world...but the last few days, with the news of the death of U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, I have gone to some interesting internal places.  I've cried that this level of anger and hate even exists on the planet I inhabit.  I've sat in deep sadness about the loss of a sacrificing humanitarian and I have fretted that maybe there aren't any more like him brave enough to take his place. I've wondered why bad things happen to the people who bring so much good into this world. I've lamented that there is so much righteousness and lack of tolerance in this world.  I have sat baffled wondering why people just can't understand that if you really really really just think about it for a minute, you'll see that our fingers all point to the same place when it comes to talking about god.  I've watched the news and I've seen and heard the protests and hate filled chants that are being directed towards the the entire country that I live in, and I've found myself afraid.  And oddly enough, I caught myself destructively stuffing my face full with jellybeans and licorice in a feeble attempt to make life somehow sweeter...or maybe to pad myself (whatever the reason, it didn't work. I just felt sicker. Back to green smoothies.).

I also sang songs in my car.
Ok, maybe I was not just singing.
It was more like shouting.
At the top of my lungs.

Songs like this one:




(bless The Dave Matthews Band for once again putting my feelings all together for me in one place...
one awesome love-filled rockin' place)

Fire, the sun is well asleep;
the moon is high above, fire grows from the east.
How is this hate so deep?
To lead us all so blindly... killing, killing.
Fools are we if hate's the gate to peace
This. Is. The Last Stop.

raining tears........................

(more lyrics here)




If you aren't a Dave Matthews fan, let Charlie Rose tell you why you should be.

Over the years I've played the studio version of this song a kajillion times, and the ending has always been one of my favorite parts.  This live video sadly cuts off before the ending, but I had to use this version over others (even though  some of them were so great) because of the magical "Dave Moment" in the last 3 minutes or so. He looks up like he's channeling a message from above, then he adds a few lines of comfort right at the end of the song (and they don't appear on the studio version)....everything's gonna be alright.


I'll take Dave's comfort over sick-making jelly beans any day.
I should probably set up music in the kitchen so I get to that sooner.
Music always makes me feel better than candy.
   

1 comments:

Pickyknitter said...

This is why I don't watch the news. There's just no point in getting worked up over things we can't affect.