Tuesday, June 13, 2006

knitting knews

I promise not to drive you all nuts with enldess photos of robot guy...but it's pretty difficult.
He is totally Mr. Photogenic.



(robot guy on business trip with TheMIG, watching cable in the hotel)


I finished TheMIG's socks yesterday...and they fit him. I had to rip back the first sock to make the foot longer, and then I ripped out the second sock too, which was just past the cuff, so I could get the striping to match a little better.


(Lana Grossa Meilenweit Mega Boots Stretch, 1 skein, color #707...just your basic sock on US2's)

With the birthday knitting done, I then swatched and started the first pair of sky-blue socks. Even though I really should have been packing.

(yarn from Black Bunny Fibers, pattern from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks)

It took me two attempts to get the cuff figured out (I'm sure knitting past midnight didn't help matters), and after the second pass I thought to myself, "What the hell am I thinking?!!" But I immediately answered myself with, "What the hell I am thinking is that these socks are going to be goddamn gorgeous."

I also thought about the fact that my last 4 pairs of socks were all just your plain ol' stockinette sock, and I'm due for something interesting. I know that sock patterns haven't changed much over the centuries, but it does feel kind of neat to be working on a pattern from 1900.

I'm just about to swatch the other sky blue yarn sent to me as a gift by StrangeLittleMama. I'd like to have both socks running at the same time. I think the vintage lace pattern might drive me kooky from time to time (besides being lace, they are on US1's). Plus with all the touring and performing over the next two weeks, I'm going to love settling in to some nice soothing comfort knitting with this other skein. I can already tell just from winding the yarn that SLM did a nifty striping job, so I'm trying to decide whether to just let that yarn stand on it's own as a simple stripe, or whether to take it into some sort of Chevron pattern. I've been very intriqued with taking stripes onto the bias or into diagonals, and I haven't had a chance to try that out yet. Stay tuned.

Today is crazy busy with packing and such...hopefully I'll have time to fit one last post in before I head out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get started on a few pair of socks for summer knitting. Not that it's acting very summery here.

Gray said...

Great photo!

Anonymous said...

Knitting? Why not. I've got to ask my co-writwer if she knits. She's from Wisco; I bet yes.
Colin

Ragnar said...

I think I'm might have a crush on the robot guy...oo la la. Does he do parties?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the robot.

Anonymous said...

Hey-

I saw those socks and the robot in person - they look great!

The now infamous Jaywalker pattern is a great one for stripes, if you're so inclined. And once you've done a few rounds, it's pretty mindless.