Saturday, November 04, 2006

more on that

Let's not forget my prediction: My experiment with creating posts using the techniques I use to create a dance piece is bound to get interesting.

When I first sat down and worked on yesterday's post, there was a lot of content. A whole lot. After much processing (and even a dry-run with TheMIG), it ended up just as you see it. A photo and a couple of sentences. That's it. It was just supposed to hang there. Like art.

Think about when you look at an art installation, or when you watch a performance. As a witness you might never really comprehend the artist's intention. But that's not always what it's about, is it? (Just in case: No) Part of it the art experience is that you get to interpret what you see.

Yesterday's post was intended to make you think. Because yesterdays incident made ME think.

Anyhow, now that I'm seeing yesterday's comment-page potentially becoming a slap-fest (and I don't like that) , here's your "post-performance, meet the artist" moment.
----------------------------

This is a rewind for you of what actually transpired yesterday between me and the developmentally disabled GroceryBagger. In real time this went very fast, and feelings were intertwinded with thoughts and words, so this as close to verbatim as I can get for you. But it's pretty damn accurate:

Bagger says: "I feel so sorry for you. You only have one leg."

I think to myself: YOU feel sorry for ME??! That's interesting. I was just feeling sorry for YOU!

Then I think: This is a trip. I'm often telling people, "Ohhh...it's just a leg." I'm just glad to be alive and have my mind in tact, and here you are GroceryBagger, and your mind is NOT in tact but you've got this great job (looove TraderJoe's) and you are working hard and you seem to be doing just fine. (I'm often grateful for my "in tact" mind, by the way--part of my accident trauma involved major blood loss and flatlining twice. Extensive neurological screening was part of my rehab. Supposedly, I'm "fine"...hehe).

Then I think to myself: This is probably the most sincere sympathy/empathy I will get all day (because on the average, at least 3 people will say something to me), and this comment is genuine and honestly sweet. Too bad they aren't all like this.

But in response, all I SAY to her is: "Oooooh, it's not so bad."

And she says: "Well, I really am sorry."

And I say: "Thank you. It's really okay, though. In the end, we ALL have something about ourselves that isn't perfect."

And then I drive off thinking to myself: I can't believe how quick I am to get all up in other people's business and judge them and make assumptions about who they are and guesses at what I think they are thinking and feeling...and I do this assumption thing all the time, even though I'm in the midst a lifelong lesson in about being personally sick to death of people making assumptions about me. Interesting.
------------------------------


I had another thing like yesterday happen to me a couple of months ago.

My cousins had come to town and a bunch of us went to a winery in Napa to do some wine tasting before lunch. My cousins have many talents, but one of them is that they are awesome with kids, the wife-half of the duo having been a teacher and administrative educator, and the hubby-half having an affinity for the kind of magic tricks that you can do anywhere and amaze all your friends (and his tricks are not just for kids, because I'm pushing 40 and I'm still entranced by his skill and charm).

Anyhow, this day at the winery was set up for families with a bar-b-que and live music, and something else (was it a motorcycle show??--hmmm, maybe I did lose a few braincells). It's a small and casual little winery, so outside of the tasting room, there were kids playing about, including my own...the rest of us were inside sampling. The HubbyCousin left those of us who were tasting to poke around.

When he came back, there was a little girl running alongside him. I think she was ohhhh maybe 8-ish. She came up to our little group that was standing in a semi-circle sipping and chatting, and started introducing herself (kind of in a stiff, formal way that made me think she has been taught "on our planet, this is how people greet each other for the first time"). It quickly became clear that she had a developmental disabiltiy.

When she gets around to me she says, "Why are you on crutches?"

To which I reply "Well, cuz I only have one leg, see?" and as I look downward to indicate the obvious, her eyes widen and tears start streaming down her face. She was howling that is was sooooo bad, and soooo horrible, and weeping....and then noticing the scars on my arm, and wailing about that, too....and if I recall, I think she even threw her arms around me (an odd detail to be unsure about, but it was an intense moment, and I can't be certain).

It was tough.

So I start to run through my standard dialog for kids which includes all the things kids really want to know in 6 short sentences:
It was a car accident.
It didn't hurt.
It was a surgery, where they put you asleep so you don't feel anything--do you know what a surgery is?
I sometimes wear a robot leg, and sometimes I don't.
I'm okay.
I do everything you do, only maybe a bit differently, and I'm even a dancer.

I tried to tell her that I was fine, and that yes it is sad, but that it really is okay....and the other adults in the bunch were helping calming her down, too. Someone finally suggested that we all go back outside so she could play some more, and she basically just kind of stopped crying, wiped her face, spun on her heels and left. I moment later, we all moved outside to watch the band. Shecame over to our table to try and get HubbyCousin to teach her a magic trick, and then she almost sat on my lap and started showing me what she could do.

The whole experience was very odd to me because while I just did not know what to do with myself at that moment of outburst, but I fully appreciated the genuinity of that moment with her. It made me think a lot about how grief is so different in other cultures. You know, the cultures that actually let you lament when someone dies. You get to wail. Since ummm, that's really how you feel and it's part of the grief process. Man, it's just all very fascinating to me what is socially acceptable to think or say or do when wer are having an intense emotion or experience. Especially since we all have intense emotions and experiences.
----------------------------------

And so alllll of this begs my next knit-think-knit-think question:
Why will I accept the comment from the person with a develpmental disability as sincere and honest, just because they lack the ability to censor themselves...while on the other hand, if JoeAverage is having an intense emotional response to seeing me, he had better not say anything to me, or I shall deem him a rude asshole.

Interesting. Aint it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, because. Makes perfect sense to me. Social niceties are what keep us a civilized society - we can't just blurt things out any old time with anyone, because we don't do that. But if people aren't capable of understanding the rules (we called it the social contract in college), because they are developmentally disabled, or they are young, our rules also say we show compassion and give them a break. But yeah, you can't always tell what's going on with someone, so maybe Joe Blow deserves more of a break. I think the bottom line for me is intent - are they being malicious? Or just uncensored?

I was at a party recently and a few of us have major tattoos. I was touching a woman's incredible back piece and commented that I don't usually touch tattoos. We started talking about how people feel very free to touch our ink, as if it weren't "us". And I was remembering how, when I was pregnant both times, people felt very free to touch my pregnant belly. Even compelled to. We were wondering why that is. Now you're making me think more about that - I bet people don't touch your stump. (lol - and I'm having a moment of "omigod, should I say stump??!!")

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha

I have not read the slapfest. I've been thinking, too. I love, love, love that you did this, posted the remark, and said nothing...

...until today, when you said a whole lot. Excellent.

BTW, for some reason, this reminds me: From what little I've observed, I don't think you're passive agressive. I think you have a lot to think about, and that means you don't just whip into action on everything all the time. This is not being passive or indirect. This is being careful and intelligent in a rare way. Fortunately, in spite of what some people think, the world is big enough to accommodate -- and needs to accommodate, for its own health -- many, many different people with many, many ways of approaching and solving problems.

You just keep on knitting and thinking.

Hannah said...

I'm with Sara--having not read the slapfest but having pondered both parts of your post yesterday for quite a while. I got to go through the emotional responses you thought about myself--although certainly not as immediately or intensely but at least intellectually. I loved that about the small post. And then I got the fuller post and loved that, too.

Meanwhile, I am wondering how long it would be before I would be able to get rid of the shoes. They would sit in my closet--and then I might be able to put them in a box in the basement, where we really do not have room. Why on earth would I do that? So you see, your post made me examine myself on this issue too--the not moving forward but hoarding the past.

AlisonH said...

One thing about developmentally disabled people that I would add is that their hearts are big enough for the whole wide world. When my daughter got married two years ago, the groom's niece, three+ years old with Down's, during the big all-the-families-together-now photoshoot, broke away from her mommy at the moment the photographer was smiling, "Now smile!" He'd smiled at her! He loved her! She immediately ran to his surprised arms in a big hug--which didn't immediately make the photo he'd expected, but he got a perfect one, her arms stretched wide open and feet in flight, for capturing how everybody felt that day.

And that's another reason why we bend the rules for people like her: because we know they unconditionally love us, no matter who we are, no matter if they've ever laid eyes on us before. We can only wish we all could somehow live more like that.

As for the shoes: I was in an accident six years ago, the middle car in a fast-food sandwich (you saw me at Stephanie's booksigning, sitting down in the line). Head injury, fried balance, and now too much visual stimulation makes me fall over. Too much bright red around me and I sometimes can't even walk with my cane. It took me two years before I threw or gave away the first of my red clothes. Another year before I ditched most of my favorites. I still have one last thing in a box, unwilling to part with it, knowing that if I had it out in plain sight I would get disgusted at some random time and just get rid of it. And I recently made myself a shawl with Lisa Souza's St. Valentine colorway yarn, which I absolutely love. I can't wear it--but I can't quite give it away. Yet. Maybe to my younger daughter for Christmas.

Warrior Knitter said...

When I read the previous post, putting myself in your shoes, I had the same thought as you. You're feelin' sorry for ME? I was feelin' sorry for YOU."

In response to your last question, maybe because the developmentally disabled folks && very young children don't have agendas. What you see is what you get. That sounds odd, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Although JoeAverage might not have an agenda either, you run up against more that do than those that don't.

BTW, I'm enjoying your meaty posts.