Friday, April 11, 2008

twenty-one hours, door to door.

That is how long it took us to travel home. Too bad I don't have the stats for how many miles we walked from gate to gate (or should I say, terminal to terminal) at each of the airports we stopped at.

Other interesting travel stats:

Famous people seen: 2
We saw Mickey Rooney and Jane Fonda getting off a plane in Atlanta.

Number of airplane snacks eaten: I don't even want to count. But I am now addicted to biscoff cookies.

Dollars spent getting my suitcase home: 80
My suitcase was under the limit on the way out, but not on the way back. It didn't even occur to me that there was a limit. And here I was thinking I was so smart using just the one suitcase for me and MyFavoriteKid to share (easier for me to get through an airport by myself while using a wheelchair).

What I bought that put me over the limit: yarn and knitting books. GAH!


7 comments:

JohnK said...

Glad to know you're back.

Mickey Rooney is still alive?

Anonymous said...

Atlanta? ATLANTA?????

Oy, such an ordeal! Well, I'm glad you're home now.

I believe that books could add significant weight to your suitcase, but yarn? Girl, just how much did you buy? ;)

The next time you visit we must make a pilgrimage to Northampton, where there is Webs. Never been there myself, but their mailings are dreamy. Also, note that their web address is simply "yarn.com."

You will have the land yacht then, and no weight limit. :)

Janice in GA said...

Airlines are getting really hanky about luggage and stuff lately. They're under lots of economic pressure with gas prices and stuff, and they're passing it along to consumers whenever possible.

Sorry this was such an ordeal. I hope you at least waved at us GA folks while you were passing over Atlanta! And glad you made it home safely, if not totally unscathed.

Ragnar said...

Argh, what a frustrating journey! I've had a couple of plane experiences where, calculating mileage vs. time I've decided I would have been better off driving, although admittedly not on a coast to coast flight.

So how long will it take you to get rested up from your "vacation?"

The Bon said...

Last time we came back from the east coast it took us about that long, and we saw someone vaguely famous in the atlanta airport, one of the kids from That's So Raven on the Disney channel. Glad you're home safe and sound. Oh! They used to never crack down on the overweight luggage but boy, they sure do now!

M-H said...

You *walked*? Didn't they put you on one of those carriers? When I visited the US in 2000 with my disabled partner we were ferried round all the airports. We'd have never made the flights without that.

Anonymous said...

I've been lucky so far - never got hit for excess weight, though I did once buy a new suitcase to hold purchases. Next time you could either pack a soft bag inside the other one to put new stuff in for the return, or mail the stuff home before you leave. (Or mail all your laundry home and hand carry the new stuff!