Saturday, December 22, 2012

snaps on saturday and a little story

Okay, not taken today...but instead taken Thursday morning when the CSA box was delivered.


I used to get deliveries from Farm Fresh To You years and years ago, long before moving up into the area we live in now.  They didn't deliver in our new location. It was a bummer. But I recently discovered that they expanded their delivery area, and was super stoked to find out we can now be included! 

Since the box came, MyFavoriteKid has snacked on the mandarins and apples, I have had a couple of really great salads (and still have lettuce for a few more), I have roasted that there fennel, and had leeks join my store-bought spinach in some scrambled eggs.  Tell you what I do need though, is a suggestion of what to do with one ginormous head of purple cabbage.  Any ideas, gang??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little story.
I hope this sounds as funny in type as it has sounded every time I've retold the story live and in person to people today.

As I mentioned in the prior post, MyFavoriteKid was a little stressed about the world coming to a destructive end yesterday.

Well, last night, I had a dream that I was over and over again explaining to MyFK why the world was not coming to an end, and I was debunking the myths with all sorts of factual data and showing him documented proof as to why we'd still be here on 12/22.

Meanwhile, back in the non-dream state of reality, while I was dreaming away about debunking, a huge thunderstorm was hitting.

Right in the middle of my dream, a HUGE burst of lighting and thunder hit, and I swear it hit right over the house, because I bolted upright, the house was aglow, and the house was sort of "buzzing" as if it was vibrating.  Because I was coming out of deep sleep and my 12/21 dream, my mind, for about 3 or 4 seconds did this:

"THAT was an explosion. OH MY GOD it's still really the 21st. We're gonna die."

Then the sky opened up and the rain started pouring down harder than I have ever heard it before, and then my brain said, "Wait. That was thunder, wasn't it."

LOLOL

Well, by that point, I was a little....awake.
I laid there in the darkness for a few minutes, because I wanted to hear thunder again to confirm that it really was thunder that woke up my and not a bomb or the sound of the earth opening up.  It was almost 20 minutes before there was thunder again, and I spent that whole time freaking out.

LOLOL

What a dork.

Anyway, I was little tired today as a result.
But it's the 22nd, and I'm still here ;-)

5 comments:

Mountaingmom said...

Purple cabbage can be made as slaw, sweet and sour cabbage, kraut, or sauteed in a bit of toasted sesame oil or good EEVO with a sprinkle of soy or toasted sesame seed. Just about any way you would use green cabbage unless it will color your recipe.

Jen Anderson said...

Our CSA gives us a head of cabbage as big as a human head at least once a season. I make slaw.

I watched Melancholia (in which the world really does end) a few days before the 21st. I wasn't feeling well, and I thought the timing was appropriate. Well, after watching Earth crash into a much larger planet in a movie, I had a sneaking feeling that maybe the world was going to end after all.

I knew this was stupid and it was only occupying about 15% of my brain, but it was there. The rest of my brain was kicking itself for not throwing a Last Day Evahs Party. It's not like I didn't have any warning.

The Bon said...

I really love this garlic slaw and I've made it with red cabbage in the past.

Jean said...

Cook your cabbage slowly with onion, apple, red wine vinegar, a little sugar, cinnamon and cloves.

Jodi said...

I pretty much eat purple cabbage two ways: raw, thinly shredded into a salad (my favourite is with a rich dressing of miso and peanut butter), or lightly cooked in sesame oil with sesame seeds, as mentioned above. I'd like to pickle it with loads of turmeric like the Iraqi restaurant up the road from us does, but I'm afraid of what the colour will do.