Thursday, October 31, 2013

happy halloween!

Another delayed post hung up between my cell phone and the blogger app. 
I must be doing something wrong. 
I'll investigate....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Poor Riley. All dressed up with no place to go. Not even a kid to bark at!!

It was 8:15pm and  even with all of our awesome Halloween decorations in place at TheNewDiggs, not a single trick-or-treater!  I was starting to tap into that "I throw awesome parties, but nobody comes" feeling, so I decided to distract myself in the kitchen (this also kept me from dipping into the cauldron full of Halloween candy).


Thanks Bon Appetit magazine for the my new favorite fall cocktail recipe:
The New England Express  
(choo choo!!!) 
thyme flavored simple syrup, dark rum, angostura bitters, apple cider, lime juice and fizzy water


I watched people outside for a bit, and realized that people were driving by, slowing down seeing our decorations, and almost pulling over to get out....but we were pretty stand-alone in terms of other houses handing out candy, it seems....so folks would just keep driving by since we weren't a "cluster" of homes "in the spirit".   We didn't  have a ton of actual foot traffic because a) there isn't a sidewalk on our side of the street!!, and b) our house is on a busier street, and there are quieter residential streets directly behind us (hmm! maybe next year we hand out candy from the back entrance?!)

We finally got several waves of kids around 8:45.  Got rid of most, but not all, of the candy.  The little kids across the street sat for a long time on their front stoop just watching the shadow display in the window loop 'round and 'round, which tickled me to no end.

All in all, a good time. But I'd like a little more excitement! I think we need to become a "destination" address :-)


0 comments: