Wednesday, August 30, 2006

leftovers


Leftover yarn...

Well, I whipped out my little digital scale this morning, and guess what. The Vintage Lace Socks are 40g each. The leftover yarn is 47g.

I have ideas about small little projects I could make: another pair of wristwarmers to keep the arm with the metal bits in it from freezing. That comes to mind easily. As does making a little log-cabin something or another chick full of sock knitting memories.

But don’t laugh…I think I’m actually going to make a 3rd matching sock.. I know that seems like a ridiculous notion for most of you, but for me, it makes total sense. Unlike most of you, I know exactly what to do with a stray single. I wear it. I only have 1 leg.

I can wear a stray sock when I’m hanging out uni-pod style, but there is something else you bi-peds probably don’t know we amputees are able to do with a 3rd sock. You see, at the end of the day, we can leave our prosthesis “dressed”. Yup, we often do not take the sock or shoe off of the robot leg. It’s kind of a bitch to get a the socks and shoes on the fake foot in the first place...and why not leave it on? It's not like that foot every gets funky smellin'. So you leave the sock and shoe on the fake leg, and in the morning pull at another fresh sock that matches the one that's still on from the day before. Bulk-packaged commercials sock are great for this, but this plan is not so great for hand-knit socks.

So three lace socks. Not so silly, eh?

There’s one more thought I have been having about handknit single socks. It involves organizing a donation program to get them to amputees returning from the war. There's a slew of them. I’ve been investigating how to set that up (well, TheMIG has been investigating), and I’ve got a plan developing. If any of you have second sock syndrome (and the resulting lonely first sock), I might just have a really good home for your onesies soon. Or you could knit a complete pair and help dress up a prosthesis ;-)
--------------------------


Leftover TeeHee from the weekend...

TheMIG asked me join him at a social gathering this weekend. An old coworker of his (Herb, the guy that recruited him years ago at his current job) was throwing an end-of –summer gathering, which also turned out a be his 50-something birthday.

I went on crutches. On my bottom half I was wearing one of those ankle length crinkly skirts, and a solo black suede boot.

Herb answers the door, takes one look at me (our first meeting) and says, “Hiiiiiii!!!! Wow! You’re just like me!” He points to his foot, which is in sandals, and says, “I broke my toe!”

To which TheMIG replies casually, “Umm, no. Not just like you.” He hands Herb the bottle of wine we brought as a hostess gift, and heads for the kitchen without another word.


Teehee.

6 comments:

jodi said...

I was just about to suggest a third sock, then you said it yourself. Only thing is, if second sock syndrome is a bitch, third sock syndrome is going to be a killer.

Carol said...

I'm glad!
Let me know about the sock program if you are able to set it up. I'd love to contribute.

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't even wear a sock on my prosthetic foot. As you said, it's a pain in the ass. The only time I sock it up is when I'm wearing a shoe that reveals "skin" on the fake foot when I have not revealed skin on the living foot, e.g., mary janes with lace-trimmed ankle socks.

I just gave a bunch of cotton athletic socks I no longer wear to Goodwill. I did not bother to ball them into pairs, and it felt quite liberating. I'll talk about this more elsewhere when I finish my current series. Meanwhile, I very much look forward to hearing about the places you have found to donate socks.

BTW, is most of the metal in your wrist or in your elbow? For some reason I had it in my head that it was in the elbow. So why not make an elbow cozy? Maybe you can use Velcro strips horizontally applied to fasten it so that fit and stretch are less of an issue.

Just a thought.

Mouse said...

I think your idea for "single socks for soldiers" is a great idea! I bet that most of us - even if we don't have single socks floating around ( I seem to have "first sock syndrome as well..) I bet we've got enough leftover yarn from pairs to make one single. Keep us posted on this!

Warrior Knitter said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm just enough techie to get myself into trouble & take awhile to get out.

And you're right, there is no e-mail presently. I'm in the process of setting up an e-mail addy for the blog only but well . . . see above. If only it were as easy as knitting! HA!

Anyway, great socks.

I thought I was the only one who weighed her finished socks. I have a (very anal) spreadsheet where I log the specs about each project & I keep track of my stash (leftover) yarn & books & other knitting related stuff.

Hannah said...

I just found your blog and am loving reading the back posts! I love how our disabilities can so often open up not only our assumptions but the real choices available to us. Great post. I look forward to reading more!