Friday, August 17, 2007

once

It is a rare moment to see me pimping, promoting, or reviewing any sort of product, book, or movie on this blog. I choose to leave that to folks have that talent.

So hear me loud and clear: If I am telling you about something I have used, read, or seen, it's because it has had a deep impact on me and I don't want you to miss out on a great thing.



You need to go see this movie.
I mean, you really need to go see this movie.
It's called "Once".
I went just because it was billed as a "modern musical", and because it got a 97% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes (TheMostImportantGuy's favorite site for deciding whether or not a movie is worth his $10 and his time).


In my 'hood, it's finishing a run at a small local "art" theater, so it may be hard to find where you live. But if you can find it playing, GO. And if you can't find it playing anywhere, keep an eye out for it on video.


I'm not going to tell you much about the content of the movie. You can get a good taste by visiting the Official Website of the movie, or something.


But I will tell you is this much:

Usually if a movie is going to make me cry, it's because the character development has been super solid and rich. Then when something happens to the character, I am connected and touched and I somehow relate, so I get all choked up.

But with this movie, it was the actual character development ITSELF that had my eyes watering, and I don't think I have ever had that happen (it was a happy cry, actually---ever have those?).

For me, this movie spoke about that precious moment in life when you meet someone who actually "gets you", and it captured that elusive thing both magically and powerfully, primarily through music.


Since the movie has sort of been swirling around me me for days (I saw it Sunday)....and since I loved the music so much....I bought the soundtrack. I popped it in the cd player while driving home from the music store....I got a few tracks in, and all of the sudden started bawling my eyes out so badly that I had to pull over and stop the car LOLOL. Now, I didn't have that sort of sob session in the theater, so who the hell knows where that came from. But it was a good feeling cry. Maybe I should have a therapist analyze that.


Okay.
Now go.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this movie. It stuck with me for days too. The soundtrack gives me goosebumps. You should also get the other album from Glen Hansard and Markete Irglova called The Swell Season.

Have you read any of the press about it? I read that Glen Hansard is so famous in Ireland (he's in the band, The Frames) that when they were shooting on the street, people kept walking up to him and talking to him *while they were filming*. So they had to film some scenes at 3 in the morning to work around that.

Carrie said...

I'm going. How awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Romi said...

Wow! I must see it then. Thank you for the review! :)

Anonymous said...

It's no where to be found in nashville! I put it on netflix que.

Bridget

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie before my vacation over a week ago. It was wonderful - I loved it. LOVED it.

jane said...

so strange, found you through a link on someone else's blog and then found this in your archives. am in love with this film and cannot stop listening to the music. amazing.
jane

p.s. nice blog

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

jane ~ thanks for stopping by and commenting! I love this movie. I bought a couple of copies and gave them out as holiday gifts LOL. Spread the love :-)