Saturday, March 15, 2008

snaps on saturday

Here are some photos taken at this year's Rakkasah, the largest bellydance festival in the United States (oops--pardon, the website says it is the largest in the world).

The Sabah Ensemble (the troupe I co-direct) performed tonight on the East stage at 9pm. We had a great run, and many people came up to us afterwards to tell us how much they appreciated our work (yay, us!).

Aside from all the dancing going on, the Rakkasah is all about the shopping.

piles and piles of silver and lapis necklaces



one of over a hundred booths full of wonderful treasures



veils of every color




a t-shirt I bought....there is a hand of fatima on the front, and the above phrase is printed on the back, down low (so it lands at my sacrum)



Oh, and I bought some chocolate butts.
Couldn't resist.
Teehee.


6 comments:

Mouse said...

I clicked on that booth picture so that I could drool over all of the jewelry.. whoah. I'm definitely going to try and get to Rakkasah East in October!

~Donna~ said...

GAH...I forgot all about Rakkasah...I even had the money to spend this year...but I was helping a friend all weekend, so that really was more important...Next year I guess...sigh. Missed you guys dancing again too! ARGH!

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

mouse ~ It's a great event. Sort of like going to a big yarn festival, except with more glitz and lots of sounds. Prepare for sensory overload contributing to bad shopping decisions. It took me a couple of years to get it right.

donna ~ I knew I should have posted "a flyer" here last week! Darn. If it helps, it's usually the weekend before spring equinox.

Anonymous said...

Oooh I am so jealous! Bad part about being smack in the middle of the country- so many things are East/West coast.

Jennie said...

Love the chocolate butts!

Yep, I'm not a leg girl.

Warrior Knitter said...

I like the sentiment on the T-shirt. Even though I don't dance I can identify with it.