Sunday, September 07, 2008

blessin' knittin'

My girlfriend had a "Birthing Blessing" ritual last night (the baby is due at the end of the month). It was her version of a baby shower, basically. Before going to the party, TheMostImportantGuy's mom asked me exactly what we were going to do there. I said, "I have no idea, but I bet you ten bucks it involves drumming and chanting....and probably granola."

Sure enough, a lady showed up with a basket full of candles and rattles and sage. Under the other arm she was carrying a small drum and a book entitled, "Women's Rituals" (no granola, though).

The night was everything I guessed it would be, and it was actually quite lovely. We all got to rub her belly and give good thoughts, and there was a part where we got to share any wisdom we might have from our own birth experiences. It was really different from the types of unsolicited/unwanted advice that everyone wants to share with you when you are pregnant. At least it seemed that way to me. I wasn't the prego lady though.

The other thing we did was that we each brought a gift to "adorn" the mother-to-be with. I knit her a Chevette:

That's me in it (obviously). I snapped that on the ride up (which is when I finished the thing...go figure...I loves me some pressure).

Actually, I'd had most of it done, but then I decided to re-knit the flowers in a different color choice. I also had trouble with the buttons I had chosen. The pattern says to use 7/8" buttons, and I found some gorgeous matching vintage buttons for it while I was down in L.A. Sadly, the didn't fit through the button holes, so I had to order more and wait for them to arrive.

These are some vintage glass buttons that I used, purchased here.

Fun little knit. I added some beads to the center of the flowers to sparkle it up a bit. I want to make one for myself, but make it long enough to wear as a hair band, I think. Here's a link to it on my Ravelry project page.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, today I went to monthly meeting of the San Francisco One Sock A Month knit-along group. I dragged Donna along with me, and I think she's going to join in the fun and knit with us on the next pair. I betcha I can at least get her to come along for the shopping part we all do together at the end of the meet up, at least....hahaha. I am loving this yarn store. It might just be my favorite.

Hey! Look at our socks!



Mine is the periwinkle-ish and oak colored one, dead center. The pattern is Nutkin (rav link), and the yarn I am using is "Soft Spun Plus" from Brooklyn Handspun, in the colorway "Tough Times".

Except that Times aint really so Tough right now.....at least not around these parts ;-)
*knock on wood!*

3 comments:

Carrie said...

What a pretty Chevette. I like the idea of adorning the mother. And how nice that you all got to pat the baby belly! Everyone wants to, but it's so rude to ask...

Nice socks! A sock knitalong sounds fun.

~Donna~ said...

I joined! hee hee...can't wait to vote etc for the next socks. :) And go back to Imagiknit for more shopping. :) THanks for asking me to go with you, i had a great time! Great to see you again! Yay!!!!!! Luv exclamation points today!!!!!

Carol said...

Only in California.

And I mean that in a loving, non-judgmental kind of envious way.