Tuesday, March 03, 2009

5 years

Wow. Long time, no blog.
I have thought about the blog DAILY, and have been avoiding the computer like the plague lately.
I have a desire to type, though...and I do have a big chunk of time tomorrow to do so, and so I shall.
But for tonight, I just want to feel cozy and held, maybe knit, and sleep.


on the altar, five years related

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the accident. I knew it was sometime this week, but I wasn't exactly sure which day exactly. That should tell you how much I have moved on. With my logical brain, anyhow.
There is still another part of my brain that keeps track, though....and every year I start behaving oddly a couple of weeks before. Today I had a little anxiety ramping up for no apparent reason, and then remembered the anniversary was this week. I was on the road when I realized it, and had to call TheMostImportantGuy and have him search the archives of my blog to find out the exact date (ha!!).

It was today.

So I decided to knit the last 7 rows of a shawl I have been working on since forever. It's been sitting in my knitting bag and waiting for a simple garter stitch border for 2 or 3 weeks now. Lame. Anyhow, I knit it up, bound it off, soaked it, blocked it. It is drying now. It's a very cozy shawl, like a big giant hug.


Tomorrow it will be "the day after", and I will have a new cozy big giant hug to wrap myself up in, and then all will be right with the world. Sorta. There's still some "stuff" going on.

More photos tomorrow, but really...more of an update ;-)

12 comments:

Mouse said...

That is going to be absolutely gorgeous when its done blocking! Do you have a shawl pin?

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

Lovely shawl - and you deserve the big hug. I'm sorry I didn't see you at Stitches to give you a big one myself!

It's interesting how the brain works, isn't it? I've got similar stories with anniversaries.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see that you're back. I don't know if I'd have been able to return to blogging after blogging every day for a year. But then again, I don't blog. :)
I have a different kind of ugly anniversary coming this month, and I've been thinking about it more and more without realizing why at first. Mine's emotional without the physical component, and I think I should be letting it go. Actually I know it. I'm still trying. Maybe I'll make myself a hug, too. That might help. Your shawl looks so nice.

Unknown said...

*hug* Did I tell you how much I admire you for your strength and humor? No? Well I do! Keep it up!

Andy Baker said...

I'm glad to see you back too. I keep checking. And you inspired me to blog daily. It's been over two months now.

Anonymous said...

A big hug and kiss...and another on Thursday.

Love, Karen the Dancing Lurker

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you. Be gentle with yourself. A woolly hug sounds like an excellent idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're back--I've missed you! I like to believe that thinking about someone and wondering how they are is like saying a prayer for them. If so, then many people are thinking of you, praying for you, wishing you well. A very happy day-after to you!

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Mouse ~ Thank you! I just bought a pin for it. It's a heart shaped sterling silver pin from Romi. When it comes, I will take a pic.

(f)n-b-rachel ~ thank you! We looked for you!! Sorry to not have spotted you, but hey--another knitalong coming soon at my house. Stay tuned for details :-) And yes, very interesting, these brains LOL

not supergirl ~ I have missed not being here. I actually almost prefer the daily blogging. It was easier to be forced LOL. And YEAH! Make yourself a hug! (and I hug you back!)

amanda ~ thank you! *hugs* I really appreciate you :-)

Andy ~ way to go! I must check out your blog. I HAVE been stalking you on ravelry, though ;-)

KarenTheDL ~ I'm on my way to collect.

JennaKate ~ I'm trying, man. Sheesh, sometimes it is hard!

innkeeper ~ I feel exactly the same way :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, it happened on my birthday. I'm giving you lots of hugs from way over here in Southern Cali. You are such an amazing knitter, by the way. You are my mentor...seriously. :) xoxox

Kimberley said...

Oct. 4 2009 will be my 5 year anniversary of my spinal cord injury. The first year it was more of a passing though on my way to the bus stop. It stopped me in my tracks, but when I heard the bus coming I sped up to catch it and didn't really think much more about it. The second year was the cut off point for regaining anything and that was a lot harder. I started thinking into the future on that day about being a wheelchair user for more birthdays, Xmases and when the children I never had yet started school. I guess that's when it really hit me. Each anniversary after that has just been another day. Last year I almost missed it. I guess after awhile I wont even think about it at all. Your right about how the mind works though. Even if you forget about it, something in the back of your mind is always there to remind you.

MsAmpuTeeHee said...

Kacie ~ I am SUCH A SLACKER!! I just saw this! I had noooo idea it was the same as your bday! What a trip.

Kimberley ~ Thank you. I really appreciate your sharing your experience :-)