Tuesday, October 19, 2010

handspun hat


I finished a slouchy hat last week. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, especially because I spun the yarn myself. I'm still pretty new to knitting with what I have spun, and it is really helping me learn a lot about what works and what doesn't in the finished product.
Photos and posts about the spinning of the yarn were previously made here, and here, and here (and that's what posting every day for a year will do to ya'--too many posts about everything! LOL).


Ravelry Project Page ~ Ravelry pattern link

The pattern is called Buttonhead, and it can be found here. It's particularly suited for handspun, but it can be worked up using commercial yarn, too. More than an actual pattern, it's more of a "recipe" so that you can make this hat using any thickness of yarn. You start the hat from the top/center using needles that seem appropriate for your yarn, and after a couple of inches you measure how many stitches you are getting to the inch. You decide how slouchy of a hat you want (cloche/beanie, beret, or super slouchy), you plug the numbers into her formula, and tadaaaa! A hat.



The brim is a band with a tab that has button holes, and that makes the hatband adjustable (which in turn makes the hat pretty much fool-proof, in my opinion).



I have a whole tin full of really cool vintage buttons, but in the end I went with some really cheap plastic thing. Cracks me up, but hey...it was my favorite match.

4 comments:

FUZZARELLY said...

Very cool hat! Don't ya just love knitting with your own handspun? I know I do.

Mouse said...

Cute hat! I didn't even realize it was the same pattern because of the natural colored yarn & muted buttons you used.

~Donna~ said...

I like when the pattern lets you plug in numbers and stuff like that. You get something diff every time! I'm going to have to try it, want to wear more hats. :)

Gretchen said...

That is some pretty yarn! The hat is nice too, but that yarn is great.