Thursday, March 01, 2012

Alrighty. I want to share a video with y'all, but the only way I can seem to get you there is via this link. It was posted to a forum board on Ravelry group I belong to by the mom of the journalist that put it together.

Here's what it's about:
Mikaela Stevens stands 37 inches tall. She was born with a rare form of dwarfism with which eight people in the world have been diagnosed. Three of the eight are in her family. This type of dwarfism causes the person to be legally blind. Even though she has had to make her way through life by adapting to life-changing circumstances, she is able to do so with an amazing outlook on life and what she believes she can gain from it.

And when I replied on the forum board to the mom that posted, this is what I had to say about it (verbatim, because copy and paste is just so much easier when you're a slacker like me):
Thanks for sharing the link. From a technical standpoint (not to get all movie critic on ya’ but… LOL), it was really well filmed and edited, and the flow of the content was really well put together. It was it was just an enjoyable thing to watch :-)
From the content point, that interview just captured so much! I have a physical difference in my appearance as well (see ravatar! haha). All of the questions people ask of me where the same types of questions that this interview addressed, and also the things that people often wonder about but are too afraid to ask were also addressed by way of visual content.
The highlights for me? Well, the call from her father was just priceless. I loved it. And the other part was the bit about how kids process physical differences. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to relay to a friend a story about kids checking me out in public (I don’t wear a prosthesis, so the difference is visible). It’s really hard to explain to adults what “goes down” in those moments with kids. Sometimes when I am trying to describe it to people, they believe that the kid is being rude or that perhaps the parent should intervene, but it’s just not at all what is going on (for me, at least). It has a potential to be a teaching moment for them, even if I don’t ever talk to them, but just allow them the chance to freely watch me, if that makes any sense (I also love talking to them and they ask the best questions EVER, like…“What did they do with your leg after they took it off?!”). This interview just totally captured another way of perceiving those moments with kids in public, both by what Mikaela had to say about it, but also by how it was filmed. Just brilliant.
Thanks again for sharing.

I probably should have added that I also agree with Mikaela that's is all about the laughter, but...y'all already knew that, right?! LOL

0 comments: